


Yes, I know it is January but the holiday season was very busy, what else can I say? So I will attempt to do a little bit of catching up. Santa Claus is very confusing for us, we have not quite figured out how explain things to Miki yet. This is because really Santa Claus for my side of the family is the day of St. Nicholas, December 6th- this is when you put your boots in the window and you get fruits and chocolate if you have been good or virgacs-a stick to be beaten with- if you have been bad! So this occasion (without the virgacs) was called (by my Mom) little Mikulas (Santa Claus). Then, on a random Saturday, we 'met' the 'real' Santa Claus at the Embassy Holiday party. This was fun but it is always a mess-- too many kids who have eaten too many sugary snacks. And why did Santa Claus come to Rome when it was not yet Christmas? Errr... He has so many places to go, he needed to come early? Then there is Christmas- this is a whole other issue where I, at this point, have officially caved in. Gifts for us are brought by baby Jesus, but this was just too much for Miki at this point, so we are sticking with the Santa story but we celebrate mostly on the 24th. After much preparation explaining that he probably will NOT see Santa, and listening with Mikael for Rudolph's bell, which was my Grandma's bell from her childhood, it all went smoothly. Who knew lying is so much work?
So slowly but surely we are coming up with our own family traditions. For example, Mikael introduced stockings to my side of the family a few years ago and now everyone has a stocking that we tote around the world. This year we had a lovely holiday in Budapest which will be the subject of the next post, which will hopefully appear before February.
1 comment:
I have also found it very confusing to combine the traditions and be consistent with the story. But we have added stockings as well - I always felt left out not having one!
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment